[lug] Religious Question - Linux versus Solaris

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Sep 3 18:44:46 MDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 5:20 PM, Gordon Golding wrote:

> client RH AS3 systems, one E450 running Solaris 8, 4 other Sun Ultras
> running Solaris 8, about 15 Windows boxes.  Two Class C subnets, 80
> users or so, a couple Terabytes of project space. a couple other odds
> and end servers.
>
> Why some servers on Redhat, some on Solaris?  I'm interested in how
> people decide on the mixing of them.
>
> At UMS (CU Boulder), the comment was - big mission critical; pay for
> the support and have everything Sun.  Small, not mission critical, get
> a free OS...

Sounds like what I've run into the in workplace.

Another factor is age of the system or application, or commercial
availability of certain software.  (Example: Veritas Cluster Manager
was just announced for Linux recently, some of the systems I work on
today absolutely rely on it on Solaris.)

A third factor has been purchases of other companies or technologies.
I don't have to work on it on a regular basis, but a company that was
purchased a few years ago by my current employer used (gasp!) a mixture
of SCO Unix and Microsoft Windows 2K Advanced Server/MS SQL Server for
their product line -- and we still sell and support it today.

(Isn't that just a ghastly combination?  SCO and MS in the same telco
system?  I hate to pick on my own employer, but man I hope they change
that down the road... one word... Ewww!)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com