[lug] Font problems again...

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 22:45:01 MDT 2004

I've had several times now where KDE seems to have set all fonts to a size
of 0, so all text appears as tiny dots on all menus, icons, web browsers,
etc.  The only things not affected are the terminal windows, or the console
screens (if I press CTRL-ALT-F1 through F6).  I'm running Mandrake 10.0 /
KDE 3.2 / kernel 2.6.3 on a homebrew PC.  Sometimes a reboot fixes it,
sometimes not.

When I look in /var/log/syslog I see the following after booting up:

Sep 3 02:13 localhost xfs: Ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont (unreadable)
Sep 3 02:13 localhost xfs: Ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/Type1 (unreadable)
Sep 3 02:13 localhost xfs: Ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf (unreadable)
Sep 3 02:13 localhost xfs: Ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled (unreadable)
Sep 3 02:13 localhost xfs: Ignoring font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/pcf_drakfont:unscaled (unreadable)

When I go back a few days, I see this just before a shutdown:
Sep 1 22:28 localhost fam[2713]: stat on ".fonts.cache-1.NEW" failed: No
such file or directory.

Indeed, when I checked the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ folder, I found that
none of those files or folders existed (although there are some other files
in the fonts/ folder).  So I'm guessing that's where the problem is; I need
to put some font files in the folder, unless there's some conf file I need
to fix to point to the correct files.  The only problem is, I don't know
what I'm doing.  A Google search turned up all kinds of stuff on missing
Linux fonts, but nothing that really seemed relevant to this problem.  Any
suggestions?

John

.