[lug] Gnome/KDE on Sarge

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 5 14:25:10 MDT 2004

Paul E Condon wrote:
[...]
> On Tues 1 Sept., KDE on Sarge entered a highly broken state. There is
> some info about this on debian bug report site. My system KDE broke
> on that day, as did many others. I really don't know what going on,
> but Sarge IS 'TESTING' .

Do you mean bug 269380?  That bug is closed today (though that doesn't
mean the problem is gone).

Let's see, I updated on 8/29 and all was well.  Now...

I don't see any breakage (in aptitiude).  It looks like KDE is getting
ready to upgrade to 3.3.0 (from 3.2.x) but isn't there yet.  Part of the
pending release of Sarge I'd guess.

By any chance did you let apt (or whatever) remove KDE packages you were
using?  Sometimes when things are in flux the automatic selections don't
work very well.

BTW, another advantage of aptitude over dselect (et. al.) is that it
logs what it's doing.

Dave