[lug] Trying to locate a domain name owner

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Wed Sep 8 19:40:33 MDT 2004

At 06:42 PM 9/8/2004, Bill Thoen wrote:
>I just tried to see if the domain gisnet.org was available, and at Network
>Solutions they report that it isn't, but since there was no web server
>connected to it I was wondering if there was any other way to find out
>who owns it.
>
>So I tried to find out but had no luck.  I tried 'host gisnet.org' and
>'dig gisnet.org' to try and find an IP but got a 'no servers found' error.
>I can find IPs for gisnet.com (which is me) and gisnet.net (which is an
>ISP that periodically causes me some aggravation from people who can't
>tell a dot net from dot com domain) but I can't seem to get any info on
>gisnet.org.
>
>Does anyone know how I can track this down?
>
>- Bill Thoen

I tried whois:

$ whois gisnet.org
[Querying whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
[whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
NOTICE: Access to .ORG WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in
determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the PIR
registry database. The data in this record is provided by Public Interest
Regist
ry
for informational purposes only, and PIR does not guarantee its
accuracy.  This service is intended only for query-based access.  You agree
that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this data to: (a) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than
the data recipient's own existing customers; or (b) enable high volume,
automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of
Registry Operator or any ICANN-Accredited Registrar, except as reasonably
necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations.  All
rights reserved. PIR reserves the right to modify these terms at any
time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Domain ID:D27649856-LROR
Domain Name:GISNET.ORG
Created On:23-May-2000 09:28:30 UTC
Last Updated On:25-Sep-2003 16:29:48 UTC
Expiration Date:23-May-2005 09:28:30 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R63-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:28123260-NSI
Registrant Name:Franco Niccolucci
Registrant Organization:Franco Niccolucci
Registrant Street1:via Pisana 56
Registrant City:Firenze
Registrant State/Province:IT
Registrant Postal Code:50143