[lug] Linux sound or lack thereof

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Sep 8 22:59:02 MDT 2004

I've spent way too many hours trying to find any linux sound frameworks
that aren't total shit.  Here's what I've tried so far:

esound - doesn't seem to work at all
arts - artsbuilder crashes when trying to execute anything at all
jack - won't start (filed Debian bug report)
jack compiled from sources - seems to start fine, but client can't connect

All three of the above have very little documentation.  I guess I'm just
spoiled after playing with Apache, PHP, Vim, and so on.  Nothin' like a
man page that says: "Fixme".  Why does this stuff even get released?

All I want to do is capture whatever is coming out of XMMS and send it to
icecast.  Either I'm just totally overlooking something, or there are some
real deficiences here.  As you may have guessed, this has become really
frustrating.  There are xmms output plugins for arts and jack, so this
really shouldn't be so hard.

Daniel