[lug] Linux sound or lack thereof

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 9 18:55:38 MDT 2004

Paul E Condon wrote:
[...]
> I am in a similar position to OP vis-a-vis sound. I have an i386 box running
> Debian Sarge. I know that my sound hardware works, because I can hear the
> sound chords when KDE starts. But I can't get any other form of sound to work.

I don't know much about arts, et. al. but when I fooled with alsa a
while back the silly question was always "did you turn on the channel in
the mixer"?

Of course the mixer in the KDE control center looks useless for that.
But I have a program called kmix that seems to do the same thing as
whatever alsa tool I used to use.

HTH,
Dave