[lug] Debian on a dual processor Xeon box

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Sep 10 16:49:22 MDT 2004

Jason Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>  I just installed Debian woody on a dual processor Xeon box. I compiled
> a 2.4.27 kernel (sources from kernel.org) I compiled in SMP. When i run
> top it only shows one processor. /proc/cpuinfo shows 4 (hyperthreading).
> So, shouldn't top show at least 2 processors? If so , do i need to to
> something else to get Linux useing both processors.
>
> Thanks,
> jd

I just barely had this experience.  The recent Xeon's have
hyperthreading.  So the two show up as four.  In order to see per cpu
usage in top, you have to press the digit one after starting to flip
between a cumulative view and a per processor load view.  Use 'h' for
other keyboard shortcuts while in top.

I believe that by virtue of running an smp kernel and that /proc/cpuinfo
shows the 4 processors means that linux is making use of them.

Hugh