[lug] Wrapping lines of text in VIM

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Sep 16 16:09:26 MDT 2004

I have a text file that has fairly long lines and I'd to get them to wrap
at about column 65. I'm using vi (vim, actually), and I set textwidth=0,
wrapmargin=15 and wrap. With these settings, the new lines I add do wrap
in the right place, but the existing ones don't unless I break each one
manually.  Also these settings result in hard carriage returns.

Is there any way to set up vi so it wraps existing and new long lines at
about column 65 and uses soft carriage returns? Or is asking vi to behave
like a normal editor more than it can handle?

- Bill Thoen