[lug] Drawing a logo with circular text on Linux?

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 20 12:59:07 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 11:27, Jani Averbach wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Do you have any recommendations or tips how could I draw a small logo
> on Linux.
>
> This logo:
>
> a) should be in vectorized format
> b) should support truetype fonts
> c) will contain a text which follows circular path
>
> I have tried skencil (former sketch), and sodipodi (which is
> segfaulting all the time on my machine (amd64)) fo far. Skencil was
> close, but didn't handle TTF, and I didn't quite get how I could
> adjust the placement of the text on path etc...

Well, the only one left I can think of is inkscape, which is a fork(?)
of sodipodi.  Unfortunately, it looks like Dag hasn't been able to get
inkscape running on x86-64, so you might be out of luck (the log seems
to indicate a missing sigc++ as a culprit).

Skencil would have been my first recommendation because it can do it.
I'm sure TeX/LaTeX (via pstricks or the like) can easily do text on a
curve, but TTF+LaTeX = "Matt goes crazy".  OpenOffice Draw can do this
sort of think with fontwork, I think, but I don't have it on hand at the
moment.

The last is Scribus, which, when it's not crashing, can do wonders with
text, including curving it.  I've just never been able to keep Scribus
running for long enough to really use it:

http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/scribus/documentation/images/textdisplay2.png

HTH,
Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/