[lug] What Development Environments, Debuggers, also Documentation

Zulaware zulaware at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 15:30:54 MDT 2004

Eclipse is the gold standard (IMO, hold the flames) for industrial-grade
dev in Java, and it has great stepping/debugging features, but it's
pretty heavyweight and a bit tough to jump into, but worth the extra
time to learn. My favorite for rapid dev though has to be IBM VisualAge
for Java, because it's actually a highly productive Smalltalk
environment. Sadly, though it is being axed by IBM, and is *extremely*
heavyweight and locked into outdated JDKs. I still pull it up for some
rapid, off the cuff proofing, though.

I haven't done a lot of PHP coding, but found Maguma Studio for PHP to
be the best I could find, mainly becuase of a full-featured debugger.
I'm planning on really putting it through its paces soon developing an
OSCommerce website.

Javadoc is a good baseline documentation base, but you need to realize
that you need to follow a strict standard in documenting code for it to
be effective. If you have an IDE that allows you to specify
class/method/interface templates, it's well worth using. Everyplace I've
worked, it's come under mixed use, which dilutes it's usefulness, but I
think it should be standard, just like JUnit should be standard.

--M