[lug] isolinux splash screen

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 29 16:00:47 MDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:09, Stephen Queen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good tutorial ( other than the docs
> that are included with syslinux) that explains this better?

I'm not sure this is what you're referencing, but I've used
bootsplash.org to get a bootsplash image working under a modified
Morphix LiveCD.  I built a JPEG splash image, copied it to the right
place, then used the bootsplash user-level tools to write text over the
splash and update a status bar during the boot process.  "bootsplash" is
a kernel mod with a "verbose" and "quiet" mode that lets you do fancy
graphics on boot up so people don't see the typical linux boot messages.

I learned most of this by diggging through the Morphix LiveCD
distributions and reading on bootsplash.org how it worked.  On my todo
list is to add a bootsplash image to my custom MiniMyth distribution.

BTW, the Morphix stuff was also cool to see how they added color to the
text based boot messages.  I didn't think you could do that, but if done
right its very helpful when watching the boot process.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com