[lug] checking DIMM types

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 15:24:17 MDT 2004

I have an old machine I'm trying to verify the ram is not a problem on.
It had some random non-recurring errors on very long memtest86; after
setting wait states to max I could not cause errors after a full day of
memtest86, and it is able to compile flawlessly all day long. But still
I have to wonder.

I am trying to figure out what it would cost to replace one DIMM on it,
it is an old BX chipset SMP board and all DIMM's must be exactly same
speed and type. I know it is NOT EDO ram, but I am uncertain if it is
unbuffered 3.3v SDRAM, or registered SDRAM. What is the key to knowing
which type it has?

Next question, assuming it is PC100, non-EDO, where would I find the
cheapest deals? Right now it has a pair of 128's, so I could replace 1
and be satisfied (but only if it is exactly same type as the other).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net