[lug] Who sells good Linux computers?

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Oct 1 16:13:40 MDT 2004

I had one of the first Dell 486's, a 486-25. It was top of the line, and
vastly expensive. It was a horror. I must of went through 3 motherboards.

Later, I had one of the first Pentium's a Pentium 60. It too was vastly
expensive and filled with problems. As I recall, it didn't work with Adaptec
SCSI controllers because of a BIOS problem. I had to buy a Mylex adapter.

One of my customers has a program that I wrote that talks to devices on a
serial port. On Dell machines, the serial ports are broken. To use the
program requires a USB/Serial interface. The serial ports on Dell laptops
are broken as well. Unfortunately, uninitiated Dell customers think they are
getting the highest quality machine and your software must be broken.

Dell's pricing is pretty high. I built a P4 2.4 w/ 200GB HD and 1GB of RAM
in a 1U rack for about $1,300. It's been running for a year now. White box
is the only way to go for desktop and rack mount PCs.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585