[lug] DNS Problems: Is it me, or is it Comcast?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 4 15:31:41 MDT 2004

Michael Deck wrote:
[...]
> After spending more than an hour with various avenues of support at
> Comcast, I can definitely say they have no clue but they all agree the
> problem is that my host is sending "bad information". They can't tell me
> what's bad about it, or what I can do, and they have provided other
> answers that are all very wrong, so I'm stumped. I cleaned up almost all
> the warnings listed at dnsreport.com, and we'll see if maybe they're
> just more sensitive than anyone else.

Pity, but I've been there too--times when I'd be happy to blame my
servers and fix them but for all the world it looks like someone else's
problem.

You might try looking at your BIND logs (or turning on more logging if
necessary) to see what happens to queries from Comcast.  Maybe they're
borken and your server will log why.  Maybe it's replying correctly and
the reply is what's getting dropped.

You can try emailing the admin (listed in Comcast's SOA records), who
should know something about DNS.  Especially if your logs give any clues.

If you can find out what kind of DNS they run you can Google for issues
between that and your DNS.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas.

Dave