[lug] Hand Holding Needed

Charlie Rose ros5e at ISAaC.com
Tue Oct 5 16:32:42 MDT 2004

Troops!

I have a new laptop (Compaq Presario R3000, 1.6 MHz, 60 GB HD, 256 MB RAM).
It's running WinXP Professional SP2, now, but I'd like to make it a
dual-boot machine so it will also run my Mandrake 9.0 Linux. I used
PartitionMagic 8.0 to set up a 5 GB Linux Ext2 partition, and a 512 MB
Linux Swap partition. (I did this because the PartitionMagic writeup told
me to.) But now, I'm stalled. I worry mightily about charging ahead with
the PartitionMagic instructions because I'm unfamiliar with some of the
terminology, doing something dumb, and crashing the whole shebang. This,
despite my having formed disk images of all my Windows partitions. Oh yes
... I've already installed BootMagic 8.0. Also, there's a Win-modem
built-in, and I'd like Linux to be able to use it if possible.

I'd really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable about such things would
be willing to give me some guidance, and answer some really newbie
questions. Any takers?

With many thanks ....
Charlie Rose               FAX: 303-545-6674
Innovative Scientific Analysis and Computing
6168 Flagstaff Road, Boulder, Colorado, 80302, USA

Web Site:                 <http://www.ISAaC.com>
My PGP Public Key:
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF57617F9>