[lug] Re: Help

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Wed Oct 6 10:57:40 MDT 2004

hello,
If you want to learn about networking i would suggest getting a few
cheap/old machines to play with. Then , I would get a Linux book and
first try to set up SMB file sharing and NFS. This should give you a
working knowelege of networking and how to troubleshoot ... network
issues.

The things that i feel made me good at networking are...
1.Playing with iptables ... write a singel client firewall and a NATing
multi-client firewall

2. If you have dsl , buy a domain name and host the web and dns
at your house. This will teach soooo much!

3.Play with tcpdump,snort,ethereal .... good stuff

4. if you have a roomate and dsl ... try to route yourself out the dsl ,
then while still connected to the DSL , dial up on the same line
and route your roomate out of the dial up ... this will teach you
basic static routing....and its fun

good luck,
jd