[lug] [OT] gcc possible bug

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Oct 10 01:34:17 MDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 08:02:35PM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:

> All of those value types convert to each-other, so no error.  And its
> find and valid to ignore return values.  printf has a return value, do
> you ever check it? :-)

Hmmm...  When did this change?  I'm pretty sure gcc 2.95 warned about passing
a double variable into an int parameter.  I'm so confused.  double type
converts into int automatically?  I thought it was only the other way around.
Warning about conflicting types in function parameter lists catches so many
bugs, in my experience.  If you're really passing a double variable to a
function to an int parameter, you'd be insane not to explicitly typecast.  I
haven't ever seen a case where that wasn't true, but my code is fairly simple.

Well, at least the next "bug" I found 5 minutes later turned out to really be
a bug, but of course it was reported 6 months ago and was so hairy it was only
fixed since the last point release.

Daniel