[lug] Where's the "MASTER" crontab file?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Oct 11 20:34:54 MDT 2004

When you issue a 'crontab -e' from an RH9 system does it copy your cron
table from /var/cron/ into a temporary file, invokes the default editor
with this and then replace the original file with the edited copy?

The reason I ask is because I want to make a daily backup of all the files
relevant to my user account, and I want to know if /var/cron/bthoen is the
file I need to save or if the "master" file (darkly mentioned in the
crontab file header as in, thou shalt not edit this...) is actually
somewhere else.

Thanks,

Bill Thoen