[lug] Creating date variables in bash

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 12 13:50:35 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:57, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Matt Thompson wrote:
>
> >Add your format string after it.  One of those useless things I learned
> >a long time ago..."1 week ago" works too.  You start playing around with
> >-d way too much after learning about it.
> >
> >Matt
> >

> I think I remember it understands the word "fortnight" too.  ;-)

Yeah.  And "this" which has made some scripts nice, like for "cron-ish"
things.  Just say "this friday" or the like.  Here is the GNU coreutils
bits about date:

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_chapter/coreutils_27.html#SEC168

I'm still trying to figure out uses for "this".  Probably something in
logging...

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/