[lug] gcore for rh 9

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Wed Oct 20 15:11:30 MDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, D. Stimits wrote:

> On my Fedora Core 2/KRUD it says gcore is provided by
> gdb-6.0post-0.20040223.19, so it sounds like the gdb post is the right
> package unless something has been rearranged over the release period.

For fun I grabbed gdb 5.3, ./configure; make just to see what it gave me.
While it built a gcore.o, it didn't build gcore.  There were actually a
few gcore.c files about, so I went into each subdirectory to see what damage
I could do.

gdb-5.3/gdb/testsuite/gdb.base was the only place I could "make gcore" and
get any luck.  But the file is only about 12k, and doesn't seem to do
anything.

I'm beginning to think it's part of gdb, rather than a seperate executable,
like in Solaris.
$ gdb
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu".
(gdb) gcore
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb)

Has anyone used this before?

--
Andrew