[lug] SysV init scripts for tomcat5/FC2

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 09:30:29 MDT 2004

I have tomcat 5 installed to /usr/local/ via tarball, since there does
not appear to be an rpm yet, and no spec file is in the tarball for
rpmbuild. I really don't feel like building it into a full rpm, but
wanted to use standardized init scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/.

Thus I was looking for documentation on SysV init script requirements
specific to Fedora, especially via LDP, but am coming up blank. Lots of
examples are in actual files, but the part I need most is to find out
whether /var/lock/subsys/ lock files are expected for "standard" fedora
init scripts? Tomcat does not use lock files it appears, so I'd like to
eliminate that. Barring lock files, does anyone have a suggestion for
testing via the init script if tomcat is running? Or perhaps just a
sample tomcat 4 init script from an earlier redhat/fedora tomcat install?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net