[lug] gcore for rh 9

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Thu Oct 21 14:04:23 MDT 2004

On 21 Oct 2004, Tom Tromey wrote:

> On my FC2 box, gcore is a shell script that invokes gdb.  It is
> gdb/gcore_gdb.sh in the gdb source tree.  According to the ChangeLog
> it was added on 2003-04-17.  I didn't look to see what gdb release
> that corresponds to.
>
> Try "help gcore".  Also you will want to "attach" to your running
> process first.
>
> Tom

Great.  That script is in cvs, and is in gdb 6.2.  It does generate a core,
though strangely enough it's not generating a core that gdb can read.  Of
course, I'm not the leading expert on gdb, so I may be doing something
wrong.

To test it I started top, got the pid, and "gcore <pid>".  core.<pid> was
generated, so I "gdb core.<pid>".  Results:

This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"..."/home/adiederich/bin/core.25434": not in executable format: File format not recognized

I tried copying top into the directory, too, in case it wanted the bin in the
same dir, but no joy.  File thinks it's ok:
[adiederich at bun-bun bin]$ file core.25422
core.25422: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style,
from 'top'

How do I know for certain if this is a good core file?

--
Andrew Diederich