[lug] setting init 3 on KRUD install

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Oct 22 12:06:08 MDT 2004

D. Stimits wrote:

> Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Installation fails the moment it
> tries to start X11 during install. I have to keep it from even
> attempting to set up X11, but I want everything in place. So
> essentially it must remain in runlevel 3 during install and not do any
> X11 at all, or it dies. It would be nice if the install could also set
> the intial login runlevel to 3 even with X11 installed, since all
> graphical mode will do after install is cause catastrophic failure. I
> could use rescue mode after the install and before first run to mount
> the filesystem and edit inittab, but this will have no effect on a
> successful install, it'll never get that far unless I completely
> remove all X11 packages (and I don't want to go down that very very
> very long road of installing all X11 stuff later, one package at a time).

I haven't done a text-based installation in a while, but can't you run
the text-based installation by entering

    boot: text

at the initial prompt? This should avoid problems with the video card
during installation.

IIRC, there's also an option to set how the system starts by specifing
starting in the text mode, which is run level3. It's somewhere around
the time you set up the video card and X configuration. I believe that
there is an option by which you can skip setting up the video card and X.

If you do run the X-based installation, there are options to skip
configuring X under it, and one of the screens allows specification of
the startup mode. See the installation manual for more info. The RH9
documentation works as the setup for it and for Fedora have not changed
much. See

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

BOF