[lug] setting init 3 on KRUD install

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 10:57:56 MDT 2004

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> D> Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Installation fails the moment
> D> it tries to start X11 during install. I have to keep it from even
> D> attempting to set up X11, but I want everything in place. So
> D> essentially it must remain in runlevel 3 during install and not do
> D> any X11 at all, or it dies. It would be nice if the install could
> D> also set the intial login runlevel to 3 even with X11 installed,
> D> since all graphical mode will do after install is cause
> D> catastrophic failure. I could use rescue mode after the install and
> D> before first run to mount the filesystem and edit inittab, but this
> D> will have no effect on a successful install, it'll never get that
> D> far unless I completely remove all X11 packages (and I don't want
> D> to go down that very very very long road of installing all X11
> D> stuff later, one package at a time).
>
> My suggestions:
>
> - - Can you do the install on another box, then move the drive over to
> the box with the flaky video card? Then you can set it to runlevel 3
> and still have X installed.

Not real practical, hardware on this box is quite a bit different than
the other. Hard drive is also severely lacking for space on all sides.
FYI, the video card isn't flakey at all, it's a GeForce2 DDR card that
runs flawlessly on RH 7.3, has never had a crash/OOPS in a couple of
years running 20 hours a day under load, sometimes with OpenGL hardware
accel. The flakey part is the installer initializing the video card for
X11 before asking me if I want to configure X. Apparently it is probing
to see if it needs to ask me that question, which itself is causing a
fatal error and termination of the install.

> - - Install in text mode, with no X installed and then install the
> packages after you bring the machine up. It's likely not as painfull
> as you think due to yum/apt-rpm... You can specify the X program you
> want to run and it should pull in all the right packages., ie:

In text or graphical mode it tries to initialize the vid card before
asking the X config questions, and fails there. It fails at the same
stage regardless of text mode or graphical install. It looks like I will
have to install with X completely missing and figure out later how to
install not only the X11 but all the X apps. If I do this at a later
date will it still give me the installer package selection options?
Obviously I am going to have to completely remove anything X related to
get it to not probe the GeForce2 card, I really wish I could tell it to
not probe that (if I say noprobe it will fail the scsi and a lot of
other stuff that it needs to probe).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net