[lug] /etc/fstab in the modern world

P. Scott DeVos scott at savingtree.com
Fri Oct 22 19:38:52 MDT 2004

Elyse M. Grasso wrote:

> It sounds like switching to more use of labels would resolve some of the other
> problems in the fstab. What are the best tools for determining the existing
> labels of drive systems that have them, and applying labels to drives that
> don't (or changing them if there are conflicts)?

The only tool I know for labels is e2label.  It only works, afaik, for
ext2 and ext3 file systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if other
filesystems have a similarly named tool.

e2label <partition>

will diplay the label of the listed partition.

e2label <partition> <label>

well set the label of the partition.

That's all there is to it.  I would love to have a tool that listed all
partitions with their labels, but I am not aware of such a tool and do
not have time to write one myself.  If anyone knows of such a tool,
please post here!