[lug] /etc/fstab in the modern world

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Mon Oct 25 10:55:56 MDT 2004

On Saturday 23 October 2004 09:28 pm, David Anselmi wrote:
> P. Scott DeVos wrote:
> [...]
> > e2label <partition>
> >
> [...]
> > That's all there is to it.  I would love to have a tool that listed all
> > partitions with their labels, but I am not aware of such a tool and do
> > not have time to write one myself.  If anyone knows of such a tool,
> > please post here!
>
> Huh.  This seems pretty close:
>
> for part in /dev/hda* ; do sudo e2label $part 2>/dev/null ; done
>
> Of course you can use your imagination in working out what to use
> instead of /dev/hda* to get the appropriate partitions.  For example, df
> gives a pretty good start at all your mounted partitions.
>
> Dave

That command assumes that all the partitions you care about are ext2/ext3
partitions.

Things like thumb drives, chip carriers and cameras are usually not ext2/ext3,
and partitions on large external USB drives may not be.  Even some partitions
on regular drives may not be ext2/ext3: I have an NTFS partition that cannot
go away because I occasionally need to test things in Windows programs.

And even if it is possible to re-format the thumb drive as ext2, I would not
do so: a large part of its function is transferring data between systems, and
for that VFAT provides the most flexibility.
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction