[lug] Wireless router question (OT)

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Oct 26 16:42:34 MDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:41:42PM -0600, Chip Atkinson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've gotten conflicting answers so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> Is it possible to have two wireless routers talk to each other?  For
> example, if I have a Linksys WAP54G (running Linux so it's ever so
> slightly on topic :-)) connected to the DSL "modem", could I connect a
> computer to  another WAP54G and have the two talk?
>
> In ascii:
>
> --DSL--WAP54G .... (radio) .... WAP54G--Computer

Other people probably answered your question better, but I'll just throw in my
experience with this kind of setup.  If you just want a wireless segment on an
ethernet, you just want to use bridges.  I tried the Netgear bridge and the
Linksys WET-11 bridge mentioned by another poster, and they were both so bad
they were completely useless, even at short ranges.  I found the Dlink bridge
to be fairly good, on the other hand, and I've had a 100 meter outdoor
wireless link between two houses for about a year now with no downtime and
1Mbps.

The Dlink AP, on the other hand, was so buggy that I couldn't even set it up
properly using Internet Explorer.  Using Mozilla with it was out of the
question, the so-called web interface was so broken.

So the lesson for me concerning cheap consumer gear is that it's hit or miss,
be willing to send stuff back.  I've sent about half the 802.11b gear I've
bought back due to defects or poor engineering.

Daniel