[lug] wine

Andrew F. Gilmore agilmore at wirelessbeehive.com
Wed Oct 27 07:33:18 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 15:45, Stephen Queen wrote:
> Has anyone on this list had any luck getting wine going?

Yep, I've used it off and on for a couple of years at least.
Mostly to try out running a Windows version of a modeling package I use
on Solaris.

> If you did, how did you figure out how to get things going?

With the latest rpms from winehq.com on Fedora Core 2, I didn't have to
do much fiddling.

The install still didn't work. But, after copying the files over from an
already installed version somewhere else, and setting the right
environment variables as the install would do, the software came right
up.

Speed was about 50%-60% of what the box runs in native Windows. That is
still faster than the Solaris box we usually use to run the software.
Line termination issues and other annoyances make running a Windows
version of the software more annoying that it is worth, still.

Andrew