[lug] Attacks Intensifying

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Oct 28 07:52:10 MDT 2004

I've been noticing ever more concerted attacks via ssh lately. The last
two last night were from karp.ece.cmu.edu: 34 times, and 206.166.198.131:
107 times. They try user names like nobody, user, rolo, etc., and more
disturbingly, root. So far they haven't succeeded.

But I was wondering... Is there any way to see what passwords these
scripted attacks are trying? My messages and secure logs don't show it.
I'm just curious to see how close they might be getting.

- Bill Thoen