[lug] wireless router question

jeremy at ossnetworks.org jeremy at ossnetworks.org
Thu Oct 28 19:51:27 MDT 2004

Hello all,

I'm on the western slope of Colorado, so I don't make meetings, but
I've been on the list since there aren't really any groups out here.

A lot of the work I do is for a wireless ISP. We've built the
server side of our infrastructure using Linux routers and Hostap.
The project started as a fork of wisp-dist, but it is substantially
reworked into a new product that we use on several tower sites
for fixed wireless customers.  We're working to release the project.
I've put some images up and an initial website at http://srp.simplir.com.
There's more info there on features and such if you're interested.
One option for a good WiFi router is to build your own.

If you're looking for basic client/AP bridges, we have a good solution
for that too. We are a reseller for Engenius, and have deployed over 100 of
their bridges within the last few months.  They work well, have a web
interface,
and one of the big differences (apart from stability) is that they use a
200mw radio instead of a 30mw like most SOHO gear.  Cost is around $130.
These are 802.11b -> Ethernet proxy arp bridges.

I ran into one bug where they allow 4 WEP keys to be input and you
can select which one to use.  WEP seems to only work when you select
the first key.  So nothing critical but worth knowing.

I thought I'd mention some of the technologies I work with.  Maybe
some of it helps.

Jeremy