[lug] Re: What to do about SSH attacks

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Oct 29 21:37:32 MDT 2004

 > Sean Reifschneider wrote:
 >
 > Coincidentally, I just wrote something up on this in my journal:
 >
 >    http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/jafo_20041029_151145
 >
 > We just launched the new tummy.com web site earlier this week and among
 > the things that it includes are Blogs or journals for us to publish
 > things in.  I'm trying to make one entry per day on things of interest.
 >
 > Sean

Looks good. Is the reason you are restricting sshd to using unused
privileged ports is that it makes it easier to guarantee the port will
be free on a reboot? Are there other reasons not to use the full port
range? It seems like the privileged port range is scanned more than the
complete range, so using higher ports may discourage the casual attackers.

Any thoughts about disabling version 1 of the SSH protocol alogether?
OpenSSH, Putty and F-Secure all support Version 2, so my clients haven't
had problem with version 1 being disallowed.

If you have internal/external interfaces on a gateway machine, it may be
worthwhile to run two sshd instances. One listens on port 22 on the
internal net only (see the ListenAddress directive) and could allow
passwords (if you trust the internal machines). The other listens on a
non-standard port on the external interface and only allows public keys.