[lug] Can't get server to grab IP

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at netscape.net
Thu Nov 4 11:16:47 MST 2004

I'm on Redhat 8, in a MS Server 2003 environment. I can't get my server to grab an IP.  I'm using the same Dell and Redhat 8 install and the same ifcfg-eth0 templates I've used in many other environments.
The DHCP file worked fine before at home.  The current DHCP environment works fine for the local PCs.

If I do ifconfig eth0 172.NN.N.NN, it works fine.  I put that in .bashrc, so I'm up and running but flummoxed.  Any ideas what to check?

DHCP:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

STATIC: X,N substituted for anonymity
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=172.XX.N.NN
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
NETWORK=172.XX.255.0
BROADCAST=172.XX.255.255
GATEWAY=172.XX.N.NN

I watch as it boots, I see the message:
configuring eth0
It happens in a flash.
Normally, if I'm doing DHCP, it takes a moment.
--
Gordon Golding
aka Golding the Younger DH70
gordongoldin at netscape.net