[lug] Can't get server to grab IP

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 14:25:23 MST 2004

Gordon Golding wrote:
> I'm on Redhat 8, in a MS Server 2003 environment. I can't get my server to grab an IP.  I'm using the same Dell and Redhat 8 install and the same ifcfg-eth0 templates I've used in many other environments.
> The DHCP file worked fine before at home.  The current DHCP environment works fine for the local PCs.
>
> If I do ifconfig eth0 172.NN.N.NN, it works fine.  I put that in .bashrc, so I'm up and running but flummoxed.  Any ideas what to check?
>
> DHCP:
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Are these in separate files of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ? And are
they named for the DHCP ifcfg-eth0, but for static ifcfg-eth0:1 ?

If not, try separating them, and try removing the static IP till you get
dynamic going, run "service network restart" each time. Once it works,
add in the other, and if it then fails, reverse which of the two files
contain the static or dynamic content.

> STATIC: X,N substituted for anonymity
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes