[lug] Wireless router question (OT)

Brian Stiff bstiff929 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 13:15:38 MST 2004

> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 06:49:08 -0700 (MST)
> From: Stephen Queen <svq at peakpeak.com>
> Subject: Re: [lug] Wireless router question (OT)
> To: "Boulder (Colorado) Linux Users Group -- General
> Mailing List"
> 	<lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
<Pine.LNX.4.58.0411090157300.32704 at travis.svq.home.net>

Did you investigate using fiber?  You'll have an awful
lot more bandwidth than RF, no problems with antenna
orientation, and since fiber is most likely less
conductive than the cable that suspends your
instruments, you won't have to worry about static
getting into your gear.  Furthermore, I'd have to
imagine that the fiber's power consumption would be on
the level with the wireless AP's you're using, and it
would neither generate nor be subject to RF
interference.

I'm sure you guys probably considered it already, what
were your reasons for not going with optical gear?