[lug] Wireless router shopping

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Wed Nov 10 20:34:41 MST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 06:12:00PM -0700, Thomas R Detman wrote:
> I'm looking for advice and options to network most or all
> of these things together.  Also what pitfalls to watch out
> for.

I highly recommend the Linksys WRT54G, a 802.11 b/g AP,
4-port switch, and firewall (with WAN port).

You can download Linux firmware for it, I recommend that
created by Sveasoft as they seem to have done the best job.
Sveasoft has a free stable release and a pricy development,
but stable, release with more features.  I simply use the
free version.

The Sveasoft firmware is a fairly standard Linux
installation running the 2.4 kernel and using IPTables if
you want to customize the firewall rules more than it does
by default.  Normal management is done via the web
interface, but you can also telnet/ssh into it if you enable
those servers in the web configuration.

The only annoying part about the WRT54G (but expected given
the cost) is that you cannot setup physically sepperate
subnets for the DMZ and internal network as all the switch
ports are the same network devices internally.  Oh well,
nothing is perfect, but this comes close.

-- David