[lug] Developer abuse

Wagner, Carl Carl.Wagner at level3.com
Fri Nov 12 17:21:19 MST 2004

I often see comparisons between the building trades and software
development.  The problem is it does not work.  If you turn the
comparison around it would be, that if any one brick was slightly
misplaced the whole building would collapse.  That is what happens in
software.   How often does the foundation of the building explode (OS
Crash), or a crane go berserk (library bug)?   What is the building
equivalent of the Program Counter, Stack Pointer etc?   What is the
building equivalent of damaged (flakey - but not destroyed) transistors
in chips due to static discharge?
How often do they change the size of the materials, like bricks (API
changes)?

>From a different tact, how may iron workers get sucked into 4 hour daily
meetings to discuss how the building has been massively redesigned when
it is 90% complete?   How often do they start buildings without the
blueprints being started? (We don't have time to properly design the
software so we will fill the details in as we go!)  I would love to see
a building being built with the lack of detail that programmers are
regularly asked to do when working on a software project.

I have spent some time thinking about how software could be developed in
a more predictable and consistent fashion.  The problem is that every
project is different.  I am not talking about moving the location of a
few walls and windows, but using completely different materials for each
building.  EVERY brick will be a different size and shape.  How much
would it add to the cost of a house to use 2/3 scale bricks, made by
hand, one at a time?  To make development more predictable, languages
would need to increase 2 or more levels of abstraction (like going from
assembly to c++ 2 times).   But then the functions/wigets (bricks) would
never provide everything you need and you would have to revert back to
lower levels. (Making bricks by hand)

Just my 2 cents.

Carl.
I like the (Building|House|Mall), but could you move it 10 feet to the
north!!