What to do about SSH attacks (was: Re: [lug] Attacks Intensifying)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Nov 14 18:37:28 MST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 08:35:23PM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>Looks good.  I'm curious:  which blog software did you use (or was it
>your own)?  I finally retired "XIMBlog" after realizing it would need to

It's our own stuff written using JOTWeb.  PostgreSQL tables for the entries
and related data, JOTWeb for the presentation.  In general I like to use
existing code where possible, but much of the blogging software and
services just didn't seem quite right, and can take a while to even
evaluate.  With JOTWeb it's pretty easy for me to build a blog.  The base
system took about 4 hours, I added commenting this weekend in about 4 more
hours including supporting Trackback, etc...

Another problem with many of the solutions is that they seem to be pretty
heavy weight.  For example, the system as it is now is around 500 lines of
Python/SQL with another 300-ish of XML/HTML.  Pretty small compared to many
others.

>WordPress pretty much does everything I need already.  I'm running it on
>my own site now: http://www.ximba.org/wordpress/

Wordpress was one I considered.

>already supports but is not enabled yet - I set one up on the internal
>WordPress site at work) or write a SOAP frontend so I can use my old
>perl "logit" script to make logs without having to use the web
>interface.

Yeah, our system also has a local editor, but (of course) we use SSH for
publishing the entries instead of SOAP.  ;-)

Sean
--
 It's not a recursive function except in the sense that it calls itself.
                 -- demoncrat on #python, 1999