[lug] Developer abuse

John Mueller jmueller at smartbond.net
Tue Nov 16 12:47:23 MST 2004

It would be interesting to see how things were during the early stages of
the construction industry and how it compares to the early stages of the
software industry in terms of project management and estimating.  With the
construction industry being a "mature" industry and the software industry
being relatively new (definitely not "mature" in comparison to the
construction industry) I would think you could draw some strong similarities
in regards to how things developed or are developing.  In the mature
industry it is a lot easier to use past experiences of your own and others
to think about the future.  Whereas, in an "non-mature" industry there are
less experiences to draw upon to think about the future.

Now there is a big difference between the construction industry and the
software development industry in that construction deals with the physical
aspects of the world primarily (so there are physical limitations) and the
software development industry deals with the virtual (which has less
limitations than the physical world)......

Plus, the aspect of change, which others have definitely alluded to in this
discussion thread, doesn't help any in terms of project management and
estimating in the software development industry.  The amount of change in a
software development project dollar for dollar in terms of the size of the
project would hurt the estimate and project management of the construction
industry as well.

Regards,

John Mueller
SmartBond