[lug] more RAID0 on /

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 20:24:30 MST 2004

Ok, with some hints from people here I've partially solved the dilemma.
At this point I was able to use rescue mode and install grub on the scsi
part of the system (review: installed to IDE and trying to swap over to
SCSI with RAID0 root partition, and normal SCSI /boot/), and get it
partially working.

At this point it reads the kernel off the /boot/ partition, and gets as
far as attempting pivot_root, then fails. Now since the kernel has raid0
compiled in directly, I am guessing that it is failing to raidstart
/dev/md0. The partitions are marked in fdisk as "Linux raid autodetect"
though, and if I boot to this same kernel (it is an exact copy) under
IDE it does automatically detect and start /dev/md0. My question is why
if this is autostart raid0, how come it works under IDE but not under
SCSI with root partition on md0? Does autodetect require something that
must be made available by mounting the root partition, thus defeating
the ability to raidstart? Or should the kernel with compiled in RAID0
and autodetect marked partitions detect properly to allow mount of
/dev/md0 on /? Or perhaps my grub.conf kernel line is incorrect:
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-2smp ro root=/dev/md0

Unless there is something in init to raidstart autodetect that is itself
initially stored and loaded from "/", I can't see a reason why this
would fail. Hints or clues? Do I have to custom build initrd differently
when root partition is RAID0 in order to raidstart despite autodetect?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net