[lug] identd on FC2

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 18:10:33 MST 2004

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> D> I don't normally have a problem finding identd, but looking at the
> D> rpms for example on the FC2 files, I don't see anything
> D> corresponding to identd. I checked the local port 113 and nothing
> D> is running, and there is no service identd. Has this changed names
> D> or packaging? Does anyone here run identd on FC2 or KRUD/FC2?
>
> inetd is depreciated.

I haven't used inetd in years...identd for port 113 auth is what I was
looking for. In the past I could use chkconfig or service commands with
"identd" for port 113 auth, but it seems to be missing this daemon now.
Spelling is close to inetd but not quite :)

I tend to favor use of port 113 as I have actually seen someone trying
to spoof my IP to a web server somewhere else in the world and seen
identd foil their attempt in real time.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net