[lug] OT: Great Laptop Deal @ Flatirons Best Buy

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 23 21:08:03 MST 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 6:55 PM, Ken MacFerrin wrote:

> Completely off topic but thought folks would like to know that the
> BestBuy near Flatirons Mall has a great deal running on a Toshiba
> laptop.  They have the Toshiba Satellite A75-S209, typically about
> $1400, marked down (in-store only) to $1249 plus another $200 off in
> mail-in rebates.  A great package for $1049 + tax.
>
> 3.06 P4 w/533 bus, 512MB in 1 dimm, 15.4 WXGA screen, 60GB HDD, etc...
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?
> id=1093468376724&skuId=6850972&type=product
>
> Haven't had a chance to load linux on it yet but the specs look
> compatible..  And no, I have no affiliation with BB.
> -Ken

I guess that's my queue to tell my brand new Best Buy story.

I bought an eMachines M2105 knowing full-well that EM has had a sordid
past history with quality - so I purposefully paid extra for the Best
Buy service contract.  The sales wonk was happy to state that this
meant BB would repair or replace the laptop locally if something
happened in the next three years.

Well, of course - EM had a manufacturer's defect in the hinges that
hook the LCD to the main case and stress cracks have begun forming
(google for eMachines hinges to see photos... not fun...).  Anyway, I
stop by Best Buy to take advantage of this extra money I've spent and
find out that they will gladly send the laptop off for three weeks to
their repair facility and won't do an in-store replacement.  (The model
is discontinued, but I specifically asked about that -- the sales wonk
said they'd replace with a like model if the model was no longer
available.)

Anyway, to make a long story short - BB says they do have a "3 strikes
rule" -- if I send it off (3 weeks at a time) to their repair facility
and it keeps breaking they'll replace it.  Other friends reported that
they were able to do in-store replacements on this model (one friend
took his back four times, twice for stuck pixels on the LCD, twice for
cracked hinges).  But they don't consider dealing with the manufacturer
directly as one of the "strikes".

Talked to eMachines - they're fully aware of the problem, have a
permanent design fix where they'll pull the guts out of my machine and
stick it in a new case with redesigned hinges at no cost.  They'll ship
me a padded box, and FedEx overnight the machine both ways.

So the gist is... if I'd have thought eMachines direct support was this
good, I've have bought the manufacturer's extended warranty, not BB's.
  And BB's was supposed to be specifically because I knew in the back of
my head that the eMachines system would probably have problems.

Anyway -- pretty much all of the eMachines laptop models from
manufactured around March through June had this hinge defect.  If you
know anyone that owns one, tell them to look carefully at their hinges.
  In general I've really liked the machine, it's handled four different
flavors of Linux and only really failed on one (Debian's installer
chokes on the machine right now for some reason - I do have a bug
report in and intentions to try to help them fix it -- it tries to load
agpgart which this machine does NOT need.), and in general it's been a
really solid machine.  I think they're truly hurting over this hinge
thing -- their customer support staff is well-prepared to handle the
calls and immediately dispatch a shipping box to get it fixed, so I'm
impressed, considering it's eMachines -- and even more impressive
considering they merged with Gateway which has always been even less
impressive as brand-name PC's go, to me anyway.

Talking with BB corporate today about the extended warranty and how
worthless it was in this particular case today, they seemed stuck in
the past... "Well we couldn't know that they'd have a manufacturing
problem."  No, ma'am... but you've known I'd be showing up with cracked
hinges for at least three months now -- the problem is well-documented
and you pulled this model from your shelves... and you had nothing
better to offer me when I showed up than a three-week waiting period to
effect a repair when the manufacturer is going to turn it around in
about 5 business days total, including shipping?"  She had no answer
for that one.  Well she did say that any local Best Buy manager does
have the authority to decide to do a replacement if they choose, but
it's a crap-shoot.  So basically my options were:

1. Send it to the manufacturer who appears to be doing an excellent job
on service, but will not count as a "strike" against their lemon rule.
2. Sent it to the BB repair depot and wait at least three weeks for
them to do the same repair the manufacturer will.  (Hell, they're
probably just shipping it to the manufacturer anyway.)  This would
count as strike one against their three-strikes lemon rule.
3. Go argue with a Best Buy manager to try to get them to do something
they probably don't want to do.

In all three cases, the locally purchased extended warranty is
next-to-worthless... at least until the manufacturer's warranty runs
out.  eMachines is automatically extending their warranty by three
months on any machine that has this repair done.

Oh well, caveat emptor - and I got bit.  No more purchases from BB for
me unless I can make a good guess that they're a loss-leader.  Their
staff is always rude and condescending anyway, and so far I've spent
about four hours of my personal time trying to explain to them the
whole purpose of purchasing the local-serviced service contract is so
one can get.... oh wait for it... wait.... local service!

Sigh... common sense is SO trumped by "processes" and "policies" these
days -- it's sad.

So... thumbs up on the eMachines lappies, especially for Linux.  Even
ACPI seems relatively sane on them with later 2.6 kernels...

And thumbs down... way down on Best Buy.  They're on my "you're getting
coal in your stocking" list for Christmas, for sure.

If the afore-mentioned rebates are manufacturer rebates... buy the
thing somewhere else.

Nate