[lug] FYI: what I'm working on

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Nov 25 08:27:24 MST 2004

Paul E Condon wrote:
[...]
> FYI, I'm investigating ways to make the record of voting more Open,
> capital O intended.  I imagine that it would be socially useful to
> have the entire record of scanned ballots available for examination at
> a openly accessable web site.

I don't think so.  Open might be useful, scanned not.

> But I am looking for ways to extract the marks made by the voter from
> the printing on the ballot, in order to reduce data download
> requirements.

Why do you want to do this in an image format?  It might make people
feel better to see something that looks like a ballot but the fact that
it has been turned into bits and processed means there is a trusted
computing base that has to be relied on.

Seems like vanilla machine counting meets the requirement and image
processing is overkill.

Dave