[lug] Problem with CUP, Fedora core 2, Python

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 27 15:22:48 MST 2004

Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I'm using the current KRUD FC2 release. I have a Samsung ML-1740 printer,
> which was working at one point, a few updates ago.
>
> Now when I boot my laptop,cups fails to come up with the following messages:
> /etc/init.d/cups start
> Starting cups: Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 7, in ?
>     import backend
>   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/backend.py", line 54, in ?
>     which = cups_import.which_spooler ()
>   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 191, in which_spooler
>     which = l.split ('.')[1].strip ()
> IndexError: list index out of range
> cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

Without actually reading beyond the intial code, it sounds like it is
trying to use an empty array that was probably populated by a config
setting that is now gone. Just a hunch, you might find old files of name
*.save in /etc/cups/ which preserved old configurations. Run a diff on
the save versions non-save and see what changed. You might find that
something fairly simple fixes this.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net