[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Fri Dec 3 09:02:54 MST 2004

Dan wrote:

> Over the years I've seen about the same failure rate among all the
> lower end IDE drives.  Shop for the warranty is my suggestion.

I agree.  I've actually been pretty pleased with my Western Digital
ones; I've also used Maxtor quite a bit.  In both cases, when I've had
a drive failure (three in the past few years IIRC, out of several
dozen), it's been very easy to get a replacement within a few days.  WD
and Maxtor seem to have an efficient RMA process.

$0.02,
Jeff