[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Fri Dec 3 09:14:50 MST 2004

As to warranty issues, Hitachi seemed to offer no drop ship option and
required strict packing instructions -- failure to follow resulted in a
termination of the warranty... But once you go through those hoops, I
did get the replacement drive relatively quickly.

As a related sidenote, NEVER just opt for a 1 year warranty on a laptop.
  The freakin drive failed 5 days out of warranty (of which I foolishly
accepted the default 1 year).  S-O-L.  Also, even though you can get the
same drives with warrantys greater than one year (by default), IBM chose
to have the 1 year warranty cover ALL components.  Argh.. Thanks for
letting me vent.  Buyer beware.

--
Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute