[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 15:11:44 MST 2004

Chris Brotherton wrote:
> I used to be a big fan of Western Digital, but lately I have had problems with
> them.  My current drive just died after 5 months.
>
> I was curious what manufacturers you guys liked.

My experience is that SCSI Seagate drives are extremely reliable.

Side note: Drive temperature is a huge influence on whether they die
early. Good cooling or heat conduction is extremely helpful. If you
can't touch the drive and feel it is no more than "warm" then
temperature will destroy your drive early in life.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net