[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Dec 3 15:17:02 MST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:26:40AM -0700, Chris Brotherton wrote:

> I used to be a big fan of Western Digital, but lately I have had problems
> with
> them.  My current drive just died after 5 months.
>
> I was curious what manufacturers you guys liked.

I know of cases where certain models have been really bad with Seagate,
Maxtor, and IBM.  I had one of those 40Gig Maxtors die on me, and I knew a lab
tech who had half of 30 Seagates die in a few months.  Probably all low-end
manufacturers have this happen sometimes.  I've been mostly buying Maxtor for
a long time now because it was really fast and easy to return them the few
times they have failed.  Other than the two failures, they have been very long
lasting; all the rest were obsolete before they failed.  In the past, they
tended to focus on high capacity and cheap (meaning not as fast), which was
what I usually wanted.  I don't know if that's still true.

Daniel