[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 16:26:37 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 16:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> [...]

I also recommend going for the best warranty you can find.  There aren't
any perfect drive brands.  Everyone has problems.  I've had IBM 75 and
120 drives that have run for 2 years now.  I also had an IBM 30 and a 60
that died in less than a year.

I bought two 15k.3 Seagate Cheetah drives last year and one of them died
in the first week.  The replacement has been happily running 24x7 with
its friend since then.

If you do regular backups and get a drive with a good warranty, then if
a drive dies (and they will all die, eventually) you have no worries,
especially if you can limp along without it until the replacement
arrives.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>