[lug] OT: Musical Genre Taxonomy Advice?

Zichary O`Tea zirotea at cyberspace.org
Sat Dec 4 05:07:47 MST 2004

I'm looking for people who are trying to standardize a set of Musical
Genres.  The closest thing I've found is this:

http://www.csl.sony.fr/downloads/papers/2000/pachet-riao2000.pdf

The paper's basic point is pretty much that the existing catagorizations
aren't designed to be "objective" but are designed to accomplish specific
goals. For instance, the taxonomy that retail stores uses is designed more
to direct customers to music they're likely to buy, but wouldn't be useful
for a typical catagorization.

In the paper they compare Amazon, All Music, and something like mp3.com
that they seemed afraid to mention.  They note that all three of them have
fairly different catagorization methods. then they propose a methods that
I guess seems okay to create a fairly objective taxonomy, but no one seems
to have implemented it.

Does anyone know of anyone working on this?

- ZT