[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Dec 5 23:20:47 MST 2004

On Dec 3, 2004, at 8:26 AM, Chris Brotherton wrote:

> I used to be a big fan of Western Digital, but lately I have had
> problems with
> them.  My current drive just died after 5 months.

I currently have Seagate, pre-IBM selling out to Hitachi IBM disks, and
Maxtor drives spinning here at the house.  All the WD's are dead/gone.

The Seagate discs seem to last forever, and get VERY noisy with bearing
noise long before they die.  The HST/IBM disks seem to run much hotter
than all the others.  The Maxtors are just kinda plugging away here
with no issues.

I do worry a bit about making sure they all stay cool.  As someone else
pointed out, every time I've run a disc in a case or environment where
it didn't get adequate cooling it died an early death.

 From work experience, 10K and 15K drives are even more prone to heat
problems.  I have never had a 10K or 15K drive last as long as a 5200
RPM platter.

Even though I've changed a few out for bigger drives, faster RPM's
etc... I've *never* had a laptop drive fail.  I have at least one
laptop here that's around 10 years old that's still working -- the
keyboard's broken, the screen has scratches, and the case looks beat to
hell, but the drive's never failed.  The only laptop drive failure I've
had was when I dropped the laptop (inside a briefcase) off the roof of
my car.  The LCD also didn't survive the fall.

And since I'm sharing embarassing stories... the only SCSI DDS-3 tape
drive I ever had "fail" was the one I ran over by accident with my
pickup truck I drove at the time.  Long story.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com